Saturday, January 28, 2012

The 65th Anniversary

Mom said it out loud. I had been thinking of it for days ahead. As the date approached, I wondered how to start the first conversation with her when I got to the house. I definitely wanted to acknowledge to her that it was important and not forgotten, never lost.

Then when I got there it was totally not on my mind at all. We chatted for a few minutes and as I asked about her breakfast, pills and bills while settling into his chair, there it was...

"Today's my 65th wedding anniversary you know."

Damn!



Heavy Lifting
01/28/12 

We all gathered at the house as our lives allowed
spouse, children, grandchildren, relatives and friends.
Bringing hot meals, buzzing with chores, sharing memories
to brighten a light that is, by design, growing dim.

All efforts made in silent coordination with reverent steps.
Look how well we move as one like army ants on the march
as if to say, “Don’t worry we’ve got it.”
Without really forcing the sounds from our lips
thinking the mention of the words will hasten some finality.
Yet knowing that darkness is near, we catch shallow breaths.

It is for him, it is for ourselves and it is for each other.
To make the effort and feel like we’ve made the effort
but realizing in our hearts it is the work of departure.

I remember what he used to say about the unattainable 
Christmas gift. “It’s on a slow boat from China.”
It was a thought full of hope and unintelligible voices
on a boat we would never see.

Yet, I like to think he is under sail on that ship of dreams
enjoying all the promise that will ever be.



1 comment: