Friday, January 13, 2012

What's The Dish On The Dog

Since it was Mr. Frisky's idea for me to start this blog and he was the subject matter of the first one, I thought it was time for a doggy update. Today we had to go to the veterinarian's office for a follow-up to learn how to give our boy insulin shots.

He's really happy to be at the vet's office, right?

Yes, he is a diabetic little guy. Almost 13 years old in people time which definitely puts him on the senior side of life as canines go. He is a bit overweight and has been for a long time. Hind hips are weakening (there's a medication for that), he has a thyroid condition (ditto on the meds) and now his diabetes will require shots twice a day. Animals do not respond to the oral meds, oh bother!

Turns out it is quite a common ailment in pets. More common in cats than dogs but, no matter, our boy has it and we'll have to deal with it. Doc says shop around it should run you about $30 or so for the insulin and the syringes are cheap.

He showed me how to grab the scruff of his neck in my hand and take aim about half an inch below my thumb, let 'er rip and push the plunger. He even loaded four syringes to "get us through the weekend." Then I suppose we are on our own for sourcing his doggy works.

Our first price check was a local grocery/pharmacy, syringes $17 for 100#, insulin $82 for a vial, sheesh! We love Frisky but there has to be a more reasonable (cheaper) way to do this!

First solo shot at home I wanted to make sure there were no air bubbles in the syringe doc fixed for me. I put a little pressure on the plunger  and discovered it doesn't take a lot...lost a little medicine oops! Trust the doc he's done it a million times.


No comments:

Post a Comment